5.9.14

Cairns 2 Monday




Early morning breakfasts because today we were going on a tour to Green Island and The Great Barrier Reef. I literally woke up before the sun did.

Bucket List: Watch a sunrise in Palm Cove (also one of many)


Day three of not wearing make up, feeling really fresh and yet looking really tired. Even though every night at Palm Cove I was pretty much asleep by 9pm. This photo was taken before the seasickness kicked in. It wasn't too bad. I didn't get sick or anything like that. As soon as I got outside in the fresh air and off the boat I felt a lot better.





This was the view we were greeted to when stepping off the boat, this is Green Island. 



We decided that before I went snorkelling, we would do the dry things on Green Island, such as the Crocodile Exhibit. Above are a heap of baby crocodiles being tremendously adorable.



This is Cassius, he is the biggest crocodile in captivity. He may not look like it in the photo, but he is a big unit. I actually find crocodiles pretty incredible, terrifying but extraordinary. This is literally what dinosaurs looked like, isn't that incredible!?




















The weather looks pretty nice in photos, but looks can be deceiving. It was actually quite painfully windy and cold that day which was a real shame. We were just unlucky. But we still had a good time at the Island.

Bucket List: Visit Green Island



I went snorkelling off Green Island but it was pretty disappointing. I am not even going to bother uploading photos I took on the GoPro of this snorkel because it really was that underwhelming. Not to mention I was freezing cold the whole time. This first experience of snorkelling really threw me off guard. I have only ever had really amazing experiences when snorkelling.

Bucket List: Snorkel off Green Island



After our adventures at Green Island, we caught a boat to a Pontoon in the middle of the Great Barrier Reef, where we would be spending the rest of the day. As soon as we got off the boat we lined up for the semi submersed submarine tour. Which is where these really blue photos were taken. And where an extremely rude Asian lady decided to climb all over me to take photos even though the boat was continually turning around so that everyone was able to see everything. 











After the 30 minute tour we went back on the pontoon for a buffet lunch. At this point I was so disheartened from my last experience and I was so cold, that I was prepared to stay out of the water and not snorkel. Eventually the fear of missing out was too much and I had to get in the water. 



And I am so happy that I did! It was like nothing I have ever seen before in my whole entire life! I was so blown away, I snorkelled for a solid 40min before taking my head out the water I was literally that intrigued and awe struck. I think I ended up spending a good 2 hours floating around and filming with the GoPro. I am so upset I didn't take me photos. I took plenty of videos, and they were amazing. But damn the GoPro takes some decent quality photos. 





I recommend that every person snorkels on the Great Barrier Reef. You will get what all the hype is about. Such an incredible experience. Its's like glimpsing in to a whole other universe. So surreal. I hope I can do this again soon. I am going to try and put the videos together in a comprehensible video and will pop it up on youtube if it works out ok. I honestly don't even have words to describe how incredible it was seeing the Great Barrier Reef in person.

Bucket List: Snorkel on the Great Barrier Reef



After snorkelling we took the two hour boat back to Cairns, got changed and headed to Ochre for dinner. Ochre is described as Australian Cuisine, and considering we are Australian and yet had no idea what the definition of Australian Cuisine was, we figured we should give it a try. 
Above is the Australian Antipasto tasting platter which contains Lemon aspen salmon gravlax which was amazing! Kangaroo terrine which was tasty with a pate like texture. Emu Carpaccio which to be honest had pretty much no flavour. And Crocodile Wonton which was too heavily flavoured to be able to taste what the meat tastes like. But I guess crocodile is like a mixture between chicken and pork mince and kangaroo is like steak that has very specific cooking instructions. If it is overcooked it tastes pretty stringy. 

Bucket List: Eat Kangaroo, Emu and Crocodile


For our mains mum had wallaby topside (dish on the far left), it was pretty average, I definitely preferred the chargrilled kangaroo which is what I had. And it was cooked to perfection. Any my brother had pork belly with scallops which were some reason on a lot of menu's in Queensland. To be fair they go together pretty well, it just seems weird that they do. I always wonder who decided that mixing shellfish and pig would be a good idea. The scallops were the best scallops I have ever eaten, good work Ochre. After dinner we went home and collapsed after the big day we had had. And made sure we got enough sleep because tomorrow was a big day at the Daintree Rainforest. 




erica

No comments:

Post a Comment